The Darkness Between Stars
Fortune Card decks are not used in the The Darkness Between Stars campaign in a traditional sense. However, players may earn them through editing the Wiki, Moments of Greatness, and attendance. The DM will maintain a deck of Fortune Cards. The DM deck is created from random packs and promo cards provided to the DM from events. The DM deck has not been optimized in any fashion.
A player may have up to 10 cards in their deck.
- All characters begin with 3 randomly selected cards. A player may not have more then 10 cards in their deck at a time.
- If a player has 10 cards and are due to draw a card, they must discard a card before drawing a new card.
- You may draw one Fortune Card from the DM’s deck when directed by the DM. Once you have drawn the card you may keep hold of it until you choose to play it on yourself or an ally. You retain this card until it is used.
- Cards are rewarded for:
- Writing adventure log for a session (1 card)
- Attending a game session (1 card)
- Updating your character on the wiki when you level or new character is created (1 card)
- Earning a Moment of Greatness (1 card)
- Filling one of the DM helper roles
- Fortune decks are handled as stated in the rules. You can have only one Fortune Card in your hand at a time. At the start of each of your turns, you can do one of the following:
- Discard the card in your hand and draw a new one from your deck.
- Draw a new card from your deck if you don’t have one in your hand.
- Keep the card that’s in your hand if you haven’t played it.
- Discarded cards go face up in a discard pile. When you have no more cards in your deck during a session then discard pile is reshuffled. All decks are reshuffled at the start of a new session.
- You play a card on yourself from your deck per the normal Fortune Card rules. Cards may not be played on allies unless the text allows it.
- At the end of a session players may trade/gift once with each player a card if they choose.
- At the end of a session a player may trade in two cards for a new draw.
- Treachery cards: When any effect would grant you Worth, you instead gain a bonus to AC equal to the Worth value until the end of your next turn. Negative Worth reduces one of your defenses randomly in the same way (1d4: 1 – AC, 2 – FORT, 3 – REFLEX, 4 – WILL). If an effect would reduce an ally’s Worth, that ally instead takes a penalty to defense equal to the Worth value until the end of your next turn. (If a Treachery card’s effect would increase or decrease your defense, use the greater of the card’s effect or the Worth value to determine the modifier.)